Grade of the Steel
My Grade of the Steel tuning is a project where I take some basic workloads and tune them until they break. The purpose is to understand where the limits are on hardware, databases and data structures.
The purpose of this work is to inform design decisions for large systems by analysing the components they are build of. It has been said that we need to build IT systems like we build bridges. If this is to come true, we have to understand the raw materials first.
Discovering the Limits
Where I explore just how far a component can be taken.
- The Effect of CPU Caches and Memory Access Patterns
- Implementing Message Queues in Relational Databases
- Why You Need to Stop Worrying about UPDATE Statements
- Implementing MurmurHash and CRC for SQLCLR
- Thread Synchronization in SQL Server
- Exploring Hash Functions in SQL Server
- Boosting INSERT Speed by Generating Scalable Keys
One of the advantages of searching for the limits is that you find interesting tuning tricks along the way.